Thursday, April 1, 2010

Getting to Know Me

I've written the infrequent blog for My Place on Scrapbook.Com so some of you may already know me and, to those that do, I apologize for any repetitions. For those that don't yet know me, I offer the following random facts about myself:


  1. 1. I have learned that things are seldom what they seem to be. I met my husband when he responded to a remark I made in the Letters to the Editor of William William F. Buckley’s National Review. We corresponded for a while then he drove 300 miles to take me out for the first time on New Year’s Eve. We got married 3 months later. Then I found out that he is a registered Democrat.

  2. 2. Our wedding anniversary is April 1st. Really. Other couples get Valentine’s Day or Christmas time or Summer Solstice. We got April Fool’s Day. 21 years today! :)

  3. 3. I’ve never cared for Rock. When all the other kids in my generation were listening to The Stones, The Beatles, Steppenwolf, Cream, and Strawberry Alarm Clock, I was listening to Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams. My poor parents thought something was terribly wrong with me.

  4. 4. I hate most poetry. I just don’t get most of it. Poems are supposed to rhyme. If someone has something to say, why can’t they just say it without burying it in senseless metaphors that don’t rhyme?

  5. 5. I’m not gifted with foreign languages. Because my father was in the Air Force and we went to Europe when I was in Jr. High, I wound up taking 3 Years of high school level French, 2 years of high school level German, and 2 years of high school level Spanish by the time I graduated from high school. I can’t count to 10 in anything but English. Well, I can, but it takes all three of those other languages to get the job done.

  6. 6. I'm very loyal. Like a dog. Say something nice to me or feed me and I'm your friend for life.

  7. 7. That doesn't mean I'm needy. I'm very emotionally independent. Like a cat, except not QUITE as condescending as a cat (see #6). People are cool and can be fun but really, I'm my own best friend. I can always occupy myself and never get bored.

  8. 8. Since my dad was in the Air Force, we moved a lot when I was a kid. I went to 3 different schools the year I was in 3rd grade (that was a personal best record that remained unbroken). The net effect of that kind of childhood is emotional independence. (See #7.)

  9. 9. In my view, I had a very happy childhood. I loved moving and going to new places and growing up on a SAC Air Force base during the Cold War years was a VERY safe environment. At each new place I got to re-invent myself and start with a clean slate. There were several times that I needed that clean slate.

  10. 10. I collect Lucy Van Pelt (from Peanuts) stuff. She's my role model. She's never at a loss for words, even those that would be much better left unsaid. (See #9).

  11. 11. The two kids that are still at home were born in this house. Literally. Delivered in my bedroom by a lay (but licensed) midwife. The births were not medicated. Even my oldest, who was delivered in a hospital, was delivered sans medication. I should get a trophy. The midwife says I am a strong contender for who can yell the loudest.

  12. 12. Buy stock in Kleenex. I'm a weeper. Sad movies. Happy movies. Any movie with a puppy. Pretty music. Well written words. Poorly written words. Learning I'm married to a Democrat. Half the news on FOX (the stories that concern the horrible things humans do to each other and to animals). Good news. Saying hello to someone I love that I haven't seen in a long time. Saying goodbye to someone I love that I won't see for a long time. When I get mad. The electricity bill. Anyone of those things (and dozens more) are enough to start the waterworks.

For tonight, that's enough. I have my work cut out for me over the next week or so just learning the basics and getting the lay of the land.

So, thanks for dropping in and TTFN!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Vicki I'm your first follower!!! Great way to start a blog!! I love your wit and can't wait to see what comes next!

    Love ya, Karen Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done an excellent job with this Vicki!

    Can't wait to read what's next :)

    Hugs~
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete